Handyman services vary from town to city across the country. Some handyman services concentrate on the smaller jobs that need doing around the home or office, such as putting up flat pack furniture, mending a leaking tap or replacing a light bulb and other small jobs that usually last from half an hour to a couple of hours. Other handyman services do larger works such as full room Handyman services makeovers, installation of a bathroom suites, plastering or tiling amongst other works. Some handyman companies do both small jobs and larger works.
Handymen services are just that “handy men performing a service they say they can do for you” doing a job that they have done before and to a good standard. Not all standards of work are the same though as you may have found out by using a service that produced poor work and left you very upset with the end product.
To help you with choosing a good handyman service remember the following important rules:
- Ask them if they have done similar work before
- Never pay any money before the work is complete on smaller works
- Payment on larger works can be done in agreed time frames, lets say, after so much work has been completed
- Never give money for materials before they have been used
- Do they have any public liability insurance
- Do they look smart and carry any credentials
- Ask a friend if they have used a handyman service before and use the same one (if it was s good, that is)
- Ask for a price for larger works up front – make sure it is in writing
- It’s always a good idea to get three quotes for larger works to compare.
- Make sure that the work is written in detail, so when the job is completed there are no grey areas as to what was said was going to get done has not been done.
For small jobs then the price of the job will be slightly higher to cover traveling and the fact that the handyman can only do so many small jobs is a day with traveling time between jobs to be taken into consideration. You will find it hard to get a tradesman to come and do the work for you if it is only going to take an hour or two.